Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Limoncello, stairs and ceramics

The days around the Amalfi were most enjoyable, but at times I had a sense of ground hog day. I may have been in a different town - Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Anacapri or Capri but I was getting a little tired of seeing shop after shop selling the same ceramics, limoncello, lemon candles and anything they could make using lemon fabrics. And don't even mention the thousands of stairs that I've climbed in the past week. 


 

But apart from the repetitive shops, there is much to enjoy and explore on this beautiful Amalfi Coastline. Whether it's from the sea side on a ferry to Amalfi or the chairlift taking you to the dizzying heights above Anacapri, from the bus ride through the narrow winding roads into the mountains, or just strolling along the beach in the early morning before the crowds arrive. 



 
The iconic picture from the Gardens of Villa Cimbrone high above the coast in Ravello. The views back to mountains were equally spectacular. 

Ravello looking back up the mountain to Scala. 


Doing it in style - my transport across to Capri. Seven of us travelled over to Capri in this cabin cruiser, seeing the sights from a water view before being let loose to explore on our own. The return leg included a refreshing swim followed by some Prosecco and nibbles. 



The soaring Faraglioni Rocks. It was a little on the rough side this morning so no boat through the eye of the rock 

Despite waiting 32 years to return to Capri and have the chance to see the Grotto Azzurra, the tides were against me.  Instead it was a visit to the Green Grotto. Having never actually seen the Blue Grotto I can't really compare. No complaints about this lovely and inviting water. 

Having arrived in Capri, it was time for loads of patience and standing in the queues. 1 - for the ticket for the funicular. 2 - to get onto the funicular to go to the area above Capri. 3 - queue for the bus ticket. 4 - queue for the bus to Anacapri. 5 - queue for the bus. 6 - queue for the chairlift. This isn't even full peak period. Note to self for future reference. Never go to Italy in July or August - it must be horrendous. 

It's been a very long time since I've been on a single chair lift.  It explains the extremely lengthy queue and long wait to get on. But the view from the top is unsurpassed. 



I was also fortunate enough to be in Positano for their festival of ballet. Who would have thought you could see ballet performed on stage at the beach. This was a new one for me but then I had seen my first professional ballet - England's Saddlers Wells, under a circus tent on the Isle of Wight. It was on every night I was in Positano and if I wasn't down by the beach watching it then I could hear the music from my balcony. What a surprise and delight!


Of course a trip to Italy is always going to have the essential element of Italian food. I enjoyed one of the best mussel soups with no less than 40 mussels, baked eggplant,  very el dente spaghetti and an interesting cannelloni. 


That's not a lemon, that's an Amalfi lemon!

 Forget the Limoncello. On a hot day give me a frozen lemon slushie anytime!

When the crowded ferries arrived with their invasion of day trippers and I needed some down time to relax, I decided to join the already tanned beautiful people by the pool and soak up the atmosphere while working on my own tan. It was a great way to avoid the crowds. Thank heavens that Hotel Ancora had a reciprocal arrangement with their sister hotel  - one of the very few in Positano with a pool. Heaven!


 Tourists getting ready to tackle those stairs. 


The umbrella on the right is pointing to my hotel room. 

On my final night in Positano the sunset was the best. What a glorious opportunity to sit, sipping prosecco, overlooking this beach and reflecting on a diverse stay on the Amalfi Coast. 

Ciao Positano and Amalfi. It has been a wonderful time. 













No comments:

Post a Comment