Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Second time round


It was a brief 36 hours back in Rome after 32 years.  Really can't remember too much about that first trip - it was a Contiki tour after all! But I do remember taking a wrong turn coming out of the Vatican and walking 4 very unnecessary km the wrong way around the walled country.  I remember trudging with 43 other young travellers through piles of ancient rocks, then finally arriving at the Colosseum thinking "enough of the ruins!" And I remember throwing a coin in the Trevi Fountain so finally that old wish has come true!

Having arrived at Hotel Accademia sometime after 9pm I really needed some sleep. Flying 28 hours with 2 stops was a very long haul. Doing it in business does make it alot more enjoyable. 
First course - seared Tuna. 


I was up bright and early (or maybe just jet lagged) for my 'skip the line, before it opens' tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. The guide was excellent with her knowledge, enthusiasm and great tip for photographing the Madonna and Jesus sculpture without the glass reflection. 





This is not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel! But one of the many rooms of the Vatican Museums we walked through on our way to Chapel. It's hard to imagine that the Michaelangelo's ceiling is even more amazing. 

By the time we entered the Sistine Chapel however, it was already a case of standing room only. The guards were shushing everyone and of course there was the occasional person trying to take the 'illegal' photos of Michaelangelo's amazing ceiling. The neck got a bit sore stretching to look up but it is a rare opportunity to see such an incredible piece of artwork. It's been retouched since I last saw it and the colours are more vivid than I remember but Flamina's valuable description has given me plenty of pointers to look out for.

To give the neck a break I decided it was time to really stretch the legs and climb to the top of St Peter's basilica. I cheated a little and took the lift half way up but that still left me with 350 or so steps through the ever narrowing passageway. Only ever so slightly out of breath at the top, the viewing area here was even more crowded than the Sistine Chapel. While everyone else is trying to poke your eye out with their selfie stick, I politely asked someone to take my photo to prove that I did in fact survive making it to the top. 

A couple of quick postcard written, - yes I really am "old school", and posted from the worlds smallest country I then tackled the entire 550 plus steps back down to St Peters Square. I figured this would probably be good preparation for the next part of my travels  - the near vertical coastal town of Positano renowned for its steps.  Unfortunately the legs and calves may have a different opinion!

The inside of the Dome. 


St Peter Square. If you look carefully you can see the queue snaking its way around near the oblique. In 35 degree heat I was very glad I got an early morning pass!!!

This is the plaza where the lift brings you on the climb to the top of St Peters. If you look carefully you can see the crowds around the top of the dome below the cross and colonnades. The yellow box towards the lower centre of the picture is the post box. 

Taking the hop on hop off bus was a sensible option for the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I revisited the main sights and saw just how crowded Rome is with tourists. It is a city similar in population to Melbourne but totally overrun by tourists and their ubiquitous selfie sticks. And just in case you didn't bring your own, the touts at every bus stop are keen to sell you one along with frozen bottles of water and modesty shawls. I resisted temptation on all accounts. 


Trying to find a 'local' restaurant for dinner proved to be a challenge when my hotel is just around the corner from the Trevi Fountain.  Louise D - I would have thrown a coin in for you but even if I could have thrown it over the construction fencing, all it would have done was clink on the concrete. No water to be found this trip. Maybe by the time you get here next year, the work will be finished and  it will be back to its full glory. 

 A quieter evening view of the Basilica. 


 I'd been looking forward to seeing the stylishly dressed Italian men again but in the uniform throng of tourists wearing t-shirts, baggy shorts and running shorts, this was as close to style as I saw. Italian men, or in this case Swiss, know how to wear colour!

I'll have 3 more days when I return from the Amalfi coast to explore Rome. I'll be staying in another area which will hopefully give me a different perspective on Rome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment