So I've been trying to get ideas and inspiration from the magnificent spring blooms while I've been on holidays.
There have been the gardens of the palaces of England and France.
Hampton Court Palace - beautiful fields, daffodils, jonquils and orderly garden beds.
In the Loire Vally we saw the amazing Chateaux. I had not been into a historical building so beautifully presented. The fires were actually lit in the rooms providing a truly warm and inviting atmosphere and the fresh floral displays in the rooms were not only colourful but very modern and imaginative.
Outside the formal gardens were just coming into bloom.
The 'piece de resistance' would have to be Versailles. Instead of taking a tour of the palace I decided to take a tour of the gardens. This enlightening tour showed the beauty of the design and secret hidden places in the gardens that I would not have found on my own. Then I visited the two Trianons (smaller palaces) - used by Marie Antoinette among others, and their gardens. After 5 hours in the glorious sunshine outside I then headed back to the Palace, now without any queuing and wandered through the rooms almost unhindered by crowds. In the Hall of Mirrors it was now possible to actually the see the room and not just the tourists!
Of course it's not all castles and palaces. The visit to Giverny to see Monet's garden showed what a lovely pond and a few water lilies can do to enhance a back garden( and inspire his beautiful artwork!)
As well as the famous pond there were also lovely rows of colourful tulips, espaliered trees and wonderful archways. No everything was out in bloom but what was gave a great insight into this beautiful home style garden.
A walking tour around the local Marais area of Paris also showed lovely little hidden gardens behind the tall centuries old walls. Some were private but others were community gardens. As our guide mentioned "if you see a gate or door open into a courtyard you are allowed to enter" as many of the gardens are a sort of right of way.
Colour in every garden with spring, a pleasant place to sit and contemplate the world and the veggie patch in the corner.
Or maybe given my slopped backyard I should plant some grapevines.
This is the last remaining vineyard on Mont Martre. Each year they pick the grapes to make a wine that is sold for charity. Apparently it's undrinkable but the charity benefits greatly.
As for my garden? Should I be putting in tulips, fountains, formal edges, espaliered fruit trees, masses of colour or some vines?
So after much searching I still haven't found a plan for my own garden, but it's been a delightful time trying!
Maybe a vine or two would be fun???











No comments:
Post a Comment