Mireille and Barbara had organised a 'program' for the weekend based on information of where I had previously been ( well what I could remember, given that it was 33 years since my last visit to Holland.)
Mireille is a primary school principal and true to her background, recycled a quiz style walking tour of Leiden (she had previously run for her work colleagues) to start the Sunday morning off. Barbara and I had to follow her cryptic photos and and answer questions at certain stops along the way. There was also the obligatory stops for coffee, drinks or lunch along the trail. It was a fun way to discovery some of the hidden gems of Leiden, find out its history and also educate the Dutchies on their own town! Neither Mireille nor Barbara were aware until I read it on an information board that tulips were first planted in Western Europe in their very own Leiden.
Off the plane at Schiphol airport and onto the train to Leiden where Mireille picked me up then it was straight to the pub for dinner with Barbara and some friends. Barb and co were there to listen to their singing teacher who was performing jazz and blues. A great way to kick off my time in Leiden - home of Hollands oldest university.
Saturday became not only a whirl wind tour of Holland for me but also a chance for the Dutchies to see some more of their own country. Isn't that always the way?!
I started the day with a cooling - make that freezing, toe dip in the North Sea. Definitely refreshing. For some reason the Dutchies didn't join me??
In contrast to the grey sea and sky, the fields of Holland were starting to bloom with the beautiful colours of spring flowers and of course the tulips. Stopping at the tulip farm was not on the 'program' but a quick roadside stop near some pretty fields would suffice.
Although I had mentioned to the Dutchies that I been to several places on the last visit (1983) I had forgotten to mention Volendam. This iconic Dutch town is a major tourist destination with its lovely old houses, originally on the sea front but now on the land locked lake. This year marks the 100 year anniversary of their biggest ever flood which resulted in the dyke being built that now has Volendam sitting on the shores of a lake rather than the sea.
Mireille and Barb thought this would be an ideal opportunity for them to see part of Holland they had not previously visited as well as show it off to me. It ended up a case of me almost being the tour guide for the locals!!!
So we went all out and did as any good tourist does when in Volendam and had our photo take in traditional costume. What a hoot!
The fun continued back in Amsterdam for the evening where we enjoyed a great dinner cruise through the canals. Of course we had an obligatory stop first at the toll house (Waas) and then a early wander through the red light district. The English Bucks and Hens parties were out in large numbers already making the most of their weekend away!
Cruising around the canals was a marvellous way to see the beautiful old architecture of Amsterdam, the bridges and the lights once darkness fell.
In true Dutch style Leiden is built on canals. The beautiful Sunday morning provided some very pretty scenes. The sun was out and slowly the residents and students came out to make the most of it. Where we might take a 'Sunday drive' in this city of water, the families take to the canals in their boats, cruising around, or stopping for a drink at the numerous waterside cafes and pubs.
I was invited by the lady who lives in this VERY old building to come inside for photo as Mireille mentioned that I had come all the way from Australia. The lady was not so obliging to another couple passing by - they hadn't traveled far enough!!!!
Leiden is also the birth place of Rembrant.
Having successfully completed our challenge, Barb, Mireille and I caught up with Madelaine who was also on the Galapagos cruise with M&B and time for wander around the fort built on top of the highest point of Leiden.
Strolling back to Mireille's apartment, I couldn't see her car on the street and casually mentioned it to M. No - it didn't appear to be where she had parked it on Friday night. Oops!! Without any sign of panic, histeria or swearing M calmly set about trying to locate her car - had it been towed or worse - stolen? A stressful half hour and several phone calls later it was confirmed as towed. So apart from a nasty fine for M it also meant that we were no longer taking the car to her tennis match that night. I would have to ride one of her bikes.
Now I'm happy to cycle - particularly when the path is on flat terrain, but M is about 25cm taller than me. For the first time since I was 5years old, trying to ride my big sisters' bike, I couldn't sit on the seat and reach the peddles. So I peddled standing up which wasn't doing my dodgy knees any good at all. What should have been a 15 minute cycle took closer to half and hour! I must also have looked a sight in a very uncoordinated way as one of M's tennis mates (another Barbara) took pity on me and offered me her much lower bike to ride home. Heaven! A quick 15 minute ride back and M's comment was 'You really can ride!' Thanks Barb you saved my knees and cycling reputation.
Thank you so very much Mireille and Barbara for your wonderful hospitality and fantastic memories of great weekend. What a way to see your beautiful city and country.
Monday morning it was farewell to Leiden and and take a relaxing train ride onto my third country in just over a week - France.















No comments:
Post a Comment